NOTE: Please do not use any images from this blog without my permission. Thank you!

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Back to School

Tomorrow we start teaching again. It's going to be more of a shock for J since he's been on sabbatical all this semester and hasn't had to teach since last spring. I had a busy break, but I still feel fairly refreshed. I've just got language classes this semester, so I'm having fun thinking of new ways to make them interesting and more effective.

Has your family managed to dodge the flu epidemic? We've had two bouts of a stomach virus with the kids over break, and I've been getting to bed really early to make sure I don't get run down and make myself more susceptible to illness, but I kind of see it as inevitable since we deal with so many people on a daily basis who don't take care of themselves as they should (ie college kids ;) and daycare is basically just a germ factory this time of year. Oh well, we'll do what we can to minimize the chances: wash hands like crazy, get lots of sleep, eat well, stay warm, consume plenty of chocolate... oh wait, that last one might be more to just get through winter :)


Belalu's hearing test went really well. One ear was within normal range and the other was still showing signs of fluid but significantly less than six weeks ago, so he's not concerned. Her vocab continues to grow, so we feel good about that analysis.

"The Year of the House," as I've dubbed 2013, has been slow to get going since we've barely been in it lately, but the biggest thing I've done, and really I started doing it when we got back from Spain at the end of the summer, but I've continued to keep up, is working on getting rid of so much stuff. I'm sentimental, so it can be hard for me to get rid of things, but I've realized that if I don't have so many things around, it's less to clean, organize, pick up, maintain, etc. So, when I'm home with the kids and they are playing in a room, I'll tackle a space there and see what I can get rid of. It's amazing how good it feels to throw out/donate/recycle things that we don't need and aren't using.

Ok, off to bed. I've got some book reviews coming up for you and also more thoughts on "difference" and dwarfism, so stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment