NOTE: Please do not use any images from this blog without my permission. Thank you!

Monday, September 3, 2012

Back in the Kitchen

Last week classes started and it felt like we dove into the middle of the semester. We ate either take-out or throw-it-on-the-grill stuff all week. I took advantage of the long weekend to re-set and get back into the kitchen. I love to make my food from scratch. If I had the time, I’d make everything from scratch. I think I was a pioneer girl in another life. Some of the things coming out the kitchen in the past few days: lots of bread- baguettes and little sandwich loaves, watermelon and lemonade sorbet, sweet corn ice cream with raspberry sauce, flapjacks (the British kind- sweet, syrupy oat bars). We went to the farmers’ market on Saturday morning and stocked up on yummy veggies and fruits, so we’ve been eating lots of those, too. The other night we had a whole dinner from the market or our garden: salad and leek and shitake mushroom frittata with roasted garlic to spread on the baguettes fresh out of the oven. I’m going to miss the market this winter.

I’ve spent this rainy Labor Day tending to domestic matters. The house is clean, the laundry’s done, lunches and dinners are prepped and/or planned for the week. I got behind my sewing machine this morning while Belalu napped and converted a dress whose top part I never loved into a skirt that I will now wear all the time. My latest knitting project, a warm wool pullover for me, has gotten some attention, too.

Last week took me by surprise, but this week I’m ready for it! I hope you also had a wonderful holiday weekend.


Left-over bread w/ Nutella and coffee the next morning: Essie couldn't wait :)



 


No comments:

Post a Comment