NOTE: Please do not use any images from this blog without my permission. Thank you!

Friday, October 19, 2012

Raking Leaves

Another beloved fall tradition for our family is raking leaves. I really enjoy doing it for the first few hours. I love the smell of the dirt and grass on the ground, the faint scent of decomposition from the leaves, their dry rustle as I walk on them and rake them into piles. I especially love hearing my raking echoed in that of my neighbors as we all work on preparing our houses and yards for those long dark days of winter when we'll barely nod to each other as we rush into the house as soon as possible to escape the cold.




This year, I recruited a couple of helpers.


When the leaves are collected, they are packed into the car and taken to a nearby farm, where they will become either compost or goat food.





3 comments:

  1. Wow that's a lot of leaves!!!!!! It's so much fun to jump in them!!!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Vanessa,

    I read your blog for the last two months. I'm also from Spain, but I'll write you in english in order to let everybody understand.

    I have a daughter, Ana, with 9 months and yesterday we got the diagnosis for hypocondroplasia. It's been a long way until here. A terrible way. Now, it's time to assimilate and to understand.
    I was desiring another diagnosis, like hormonal or similar, but ...

    When I was reading your blog, tears were coming to my eyes, because Belalu remembers me a lot of Ana. Ana does also look very sweet, she almost walks on her own, she's very strong and happy, ... So I knew there was a possibility, then if Belalu has hypo, Ana could too.

    We'll start now to walk this new way in our lifes, and I hope we can manage Ana to be happy. This is the only thing I worry about now.

    Thanks for your blog.

    Anabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anabel,

      The not knowing is the worst part. As you said, now you can start to get used to the idea, learn, and move forward armed with more concrete knowledge. I really think, and I'm starting to see evidence of this as I meet more families whose children have hypo or acon, that happiness and confidence out in the world starts with being loved and respected at home- it's where we begin to develop our values and sense of worth. It's going to be ok for Ana, it really will, because you love her and want the best for her, and she'll know that.

      Thank you for your comment and I hope we can continue the conversation as we both learn how to help our girls adjust to being a bit different from the rest.

      Delete