NOTE: Please do not use any images from this blog without my permission. Thank you!

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Book Review: Little People: Learning to See the World Through My Daughter's Eyes

I've been slowly making my way through this book since last summer. I've really enjoyed it, but it is so close to home I've found myself only being able to read it while in a pensive mood already. It brings up a lot of questions and thoughts that I don't always want to think about right before falling asleep, which is usually when I have time to read for fun.

Dan Kennedy is the father of a girl with achondroplasia. I really appreciate and relate to his thought process as he searches to find meaning in the diagnosis and grapples with where his daughter will fit into society. It was affirming to read someone's perspective with whom I share a lot of the same conclusions, if not a bit unnerving to read about someone going through a similar thought process I was in the middle of undertaking myself.

That was also the most unsatisfying part for me about the book. The parts where he talks about his struggle to understand what Becky's diagnosis will mean for her was almost too familiar. His questions then are my questions now. And of course, since it was written in 2003 and she was on the verge of adolescence, there are no answers. I finished it and wanted a sequel.

I realize my questions about Belalu's interactions with the world will only be answered with time. I also realize that Essie is also likely to have difficulties at some point- I think most people do. (At least in our culture it seems to be a common part of growing up.) But I only find myself worrying about her. What if.... what if.... what if... you can drive yourself crazy with those "what if"s. And then I see her determination, her intelligence, her love of people, and I find myself thinking "This girl is going to be teaching me a whole lot about life and how to take on challenges." Because I really think that's what she's going to do. And I know she's going to be fine, rough patches and all.

I've got two more books regarding dwarfism on my reading list for this summer. This one is next. Anyone want to read it with me and have a virtual book club?

3 comments:

  1. I loved the Dan Kennedy book, so intelligently curious, yet, a lot of his conclusions just don't resonate with me at all. I do agree that it is not a bedtime book. I read chapter 9, the bone machine a lot of times and it is so smartly thought trough, it really made me wonder and re-assess what I thought a lot and in the end, I disagree with his conclusion, but I appreciate the thought process it has provoked in me and it is very fairly written for the most part... I loved Tiffany DiDonato's book, she is actually on POLP you know. I really want to hear your opinion of that, I can totally identify with her mum and G is very much like her dad, wait until you read the story about someone clearing teh snow from her car at college...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to read this book! It sounds very interesting!

    I know this may come as a shock but I don't worry about Lyla's future. The reason being is I only live in the present. I refuse to worry about something that hasn't happened yet.

    Right now Lyla is a beautiful, sweet, happy girl!!! Just like Belalu!!! Our girls are PERFECTION!!!

    No sense in worrying about tomorrow when all I want to do is enjoy today!!!
    Xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany DiDonato's book is on my list to read - actually a friend saw it this weekend and reminded me of it! I plan to hit the bookstore this week to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete