NOTE: Please do not use any images from this blog without my permission. Thank you!

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Thoughts a Year In

We are now over a year in from the diagnosis that changed our lives. In many aspects, life is exactly the same as it would have been if Belalu didn't have hypochondroplasia. Nevertheless, it's always in the back of my mind, but just as one facet of the many that make up who she is and how she'll face the world.

I am not afraid of different. I love that my daughter is different, and hope that my son will be, too, in his own way. I do not wish for either of them to have "an easy life." That does not mean I want their life to be hard, but I won't wish away the difficult moments. Easy does not make strong. Easy does not invoke contemplation and growth. Easy does not stir us to respond to challenges that compel us to shape our values and define who we are.

I cannot anticipate the challenges either of my children will face. I just try to prepare them to be morally and emotionally strong, compassionate and respectful to themselves and others, and to have integrity. To search for their passion and to value their place in the world. With these tools, I hope they will be able to face whatever challenges arise, and they will be better people for it.





2 comments:

  1. Your babes are amazing...and so are you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! Exactly my thoughts...we just passed our two year anniversary of diagnosis. Time goes by so quickly...

    ReplyDelete