NOTE: Please do not use any images from this blog without my permission. Thank you!

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Disability


Disability. Such a loaded word. I was talking to a good friend of mine recently about the concept of disability. She has a rare condition that affects all areas of her life, but to look at her you wouldn't be able to tell there was anything up. In her case, because her condition is not outwardly apparent, it is downplayed or dismissed by others. Nevertheless, it makes life much harder for her, and sometimes it would be nice if people could recognize her struggles.
In Belalu's case, it's the opposite. She is no different from other children except for her physical appearance. But because she will look different, she will be treated differently. People will make assumptions about her. They may assume that she will be unable to do things or be surprised when she can. While I hope that she will not consider her condition a disability, others may.
So much of this word, disability, has to do with perception. Of one's self, of others. It's a subject I'd like to explore more.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Your daughter is gorgeous. I will add you to my blog roll if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sending love to you and Belalu.

    in my own experience, people look at H and say, "well he *seems* high functioning." but in the case of autism, high functioning means that he has speech. that doesn't mean that he will be able to take care of himself when he's older. i actively try not to get my hopes up because we just don't know yet. so far, he can't process pain or recognize any safety hazards in a functional way. those are pretty significant for self-survival.

    anyway, i think about disability a lot, too, my friend. your girl is gorgeous and i'm glad to see that you are finding a way to process some of what you are going through.

    sending hugs and sloppy kisses,
    m

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said!
    (and if you don't mind, I will also add you to my blog roll.)

    ReplyDelete