NOTE: Please do not use any images from this blog without my permission. Thank you!

Monday, June 25, 2012

Big Day

Today was our anniversary. We've been married six years. But that's not why it was a big day.

This morning I got to meet a woman here in town whose daughter has acondroplasia. She's almost eleven, so they are not going to be friends, but at least she and Belalu can know each other. And it means a lot to me to have another mother I can call and meet for coffee if I need guidance, support, or just a sympathetic ear.

The friend that introduced us did not know the woman well, but facilitated our meeting anyway, which was very sweet. She had asked me last week if I would be interested, and I said of course. A day later J was driving around town thinking "I just need a sign that Belalu is going to be ok," and saw this woman and her daughter walking down the street. He pulled the car over and introduced himself, explaining he had a daughter recently diagnosed with hypo. Luckily, my friend had already talked to her, so she wasn't completely weirded out by the random guy stopping his car on the street. It all seems so fortuitous. They have been here as long as we have, in our not-so-small-town, and yet we meet now. My friend said something today in this regard that really struck a chord with me about how people come into our lives when we need them to.

Yes

The other big event today is the call I got from the geneticist's office confirming the hypo diagnosis. I asked her assistant, the one who called me, about Belalu being referred to Dr. Pauli in Madison, and he said that he used to work with him and that he would check. He called back and said she could see him after we got back. Tomorrow I've got yoga and the sauna in the morning and my sweet friends are treating me to a pedicure in the afternoon.

I'm feeling a lot of gratitude today.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary!

    How awesome to meet another family - what a wonderful connection that will be.

    And Yay on being able to see Dr. Pauli. I'm eager to hear how that goes. I'm curious to see how other children with hypo are followed, medically. There didn't seem to be this rush for LH to see anyone special after his diagnosis and it was only after I asked for a referral to the skeletal dysplasia clinic did we get one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't know, getting the diagnosis on the phone really hit me, but seeing it on paper was shocking... Did they tell you which mutation she has? Try to find out, it's pretty relevant.
    Well done for arranging the meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vanessa! It is so nice to "meet you". Thank you for the kind comments on my blog. Your family is ADORABLE! Especially that little one :o) ... but I'm partial to those LP's.(ha!). I will add you to my blog roll. I look forward to follwing your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary! So happy Belalu will have another LP to talk to and become friends with as she gets older!

    ReplyDelete